Saturday, November 6, 2010

Women who inspire.



Two very different women caught my eye in the New York Times today. They do have some things in common though. They are both incredibly inspiring. They are both from another time in our culture and history. They both possess a level of inner strength that inspires and alarms.

First up is the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, Debo. This woman rocks. She is officially my new favorite English lady. She is quoted in the article as saying “There is this extraordinary thing called self-esteem which is pumped into the children now.” How funny is that? It's a little funny. Right? And she kind of sounds like she was raised by Martha Stewart and the scary Uncle from the Secret Garden. But she turned out okay. In fact, she sounds downright cool. This should inspire all of us to rise above our precious inner esteem injuries. She says: “What can you do?” she asked. “Blow after blow came, but there was absolutely no reply, was there?” Right on Debo. Right on.

Next up, a woman that makes me feel like my life is pretty much completely insignificant. She also makes me feel like I want to give all my money to this charity. Cause she deserves more then this country can ever give her. Her name is Mary Spencer. She has had more then her share of the darkest times our country has ever faced. She is 102 years old. She is remarkable for just existing. And I guess in some ways...aren't we all? She reminds me a bit of my own grandmother. A woman who didn't really have any choices in her life and did the best she could with the little she had. I hope that she continues to be loved and cared for. I'm making a donation.

Photo of Mary Spencer by Ruth Fremson/The New York Times
Photo of the Duchess by Andrew Testa/The New York Times


No comments:

Post a Comment