Thursday, July 1, 2010

Zeitgeist Summer 2010


So...I've been blaming my new found love of all things 90's on the fact that I have now hit the age where you suddenly lose your mind and become convinced that the music of your adolescence is a thing of beatific glory. I remember being in my early twenties and looking at some of my older friends listening to Bon Jovi with a reverence that I believed would be best reserved for actual works of art, not pop music that sounded god-awful to me.

And just today...rolling down the highway...with my windows down...I discovered the Sirius station Lithium...yeah you heard that right....like the battery in your iphone...or the drug that helps ease bipolar disorder...or the Nirvana song. Now for those of you unfamiliar with Lithium it's a purveyor of "90's grunge and alternative rock". Basically everything I listened to in 8th grade. I never really thought I would have the urge to revisit that time in my life. It involved a lot of self-esteem issues and a definite need for some actual lithium.

But today...I was in heaven listening to "Brimful of Asha" by Cornershop. Yeah. All you thirty somethings remember this song. It made no sense. "Everyone needs a bosom for a pillow"? Like what..excuse me? None of that mattered today though. Because I LOVED IT. I felt like I was 14 again...only with great skin and the ability to go wherever I want and eat ice cream for dinner and then maybe have a beer. In the words of Real Housewife of NJ, Teresa Giudice: FABULOUS! So anyway...the point of this post is actually to expose you to the following fabulousness:

FREAKIN' BECK IS COVERING YANNI!

Yes. You read that right. Yanni of 90's PBS glory. The guy that wore the puffy pirate shirt. The guy that your mom might have enjoyed listening to in the car when she was alone. And bear with me here....Beck has added something to this....something remarkably appropriate to this post and super 90's....nonsensical lyrics. Don't question me. Just follow the link. Go now! The summer is fleeting. Catch this 90's fever before it's all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment